Genevieve has croup. Yuck! :( Up until now she's had a couple colds and an ear infection, but I'd say this is definitely the worst of all of her illnesses. She was diagnosed on Tuesday and given 2 days worth of steroids to help keep her airway open, which is the main concern when little kids have croup since their airway is so small already. She was waking a lot at night and not napping well because she couldn't breath. Yesterday the pediatrician's office was closed due to the holiday, so we ended up at Children's in the emergency room with her. She was seen right away by the nurse and had a 102°F fever. The doctor came to check her out and gave her a dose of decadron (another steroid) as well as some Tylenol for the fever. The decadron definitely has helped her. She slept through the night last night (which she hasn't done in several days due to coughing/breathing issues). It's amazing what a solid 8 hours of sleep can do! I woke up at 6am and checked on her because I hadn't heard anything from her all night. She woke about an hour ago to nurse & went back to sleep. I think her little body is just trying to kick this nasty virus & fever. She sounds so sad due to all the coughing it's made her lose her voice for the most part. Even her cry sounds bad, so we've been doing everything we can to keep her happy and comfortable. She will be going back to the pediatrician this morning for a follow-up visit.
Waiting for the doctor in the ER...
Welp, the little munchkin just woke up so I've got to run! I will post another blog soon about our vacation to Hilton Head Island, SC last week! :) Here are a couple photos my sister-in-law posted last night for a sneak peek!




No comments:
Post a Comment